Saturday, October 11, 2003

Sports

What's the deal with all the attention paid to spectator sports, anyway? There are lots of TV channels that show sports of some sort, and every day there's a sports section in the newspaper. I take it that there are a lot of adults who think about, watch, read about, and talk about sports. It's odd, when you think about it, that so much time, attention, and brainpower are devoted to something so ephemeral.

It's not that I have anything against sports. I played basketball in high school and have lifted weights for ten years. And I used to watch basketball quite a bit, particularly when my hometown Arkansas Razorbacks were an early 90s powerhouse. But as a married man with two kids and a full-time job, I always seem to have things to do that are a lot more important than spending hours watching (or reading trivia about) other people playing games that generally consist of a lot of running to and fro while intermittently throwing balls in various directions. Who has the time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home