Sunday, October 31, 2004

Ghosts

Over a year ago, Rod Dreher told me some ghost stories that he had personally experienced. Now he wrote them up for the Dallas Morning News in this lengthy article.
The first time I met the exorcist, he and his helpers were off to clean out, so to speak, a haunted house north of New Orleans. I went with them, saw bizarre things I could not explain, wrote a newspaper story about it, and figured I'd never see those people again.

Two years later, in August of 1994, I phoned the exorcist myself. "Can you come to my mom and dad's house?" I asked. "We buried my grandfather a couple of days ago, and some strange things are going on."

"Day after tomorrow," the exorcist promised. "When we get there, don't tell Shelby your grandfather died. We don't want to lead her in any direction."

I have never been able to forget what happened next. I've thought a lot about it over the past decade, and am no closer to solving the mysteries at the heart of those events. I can say this for certain: the barrier between the world of the living and the realm of the dead is permeable, and the refusal to recognize the reality of the paranormal and supernatural can lead to our own destruction.
* * *
Worth reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home