Sunday, September 25, 2005

Birth Control Crusaders

This was an interesting passage from Robert Coles' book Children of Crisis: A Study of Courage and Fear, originally published in 1964. The book is about "southern children and adults of both races and all persuasions as they act and react to the civil rights turmoil of the 1960s."

The following is a long quote from a black woman who was talking about the birth control crusaders who had tried to recruit her to the cause:
They came telling us not to have children, and not to have children, and sweep up, and all that. They tell you you're bad, and worse than others, and you're lazy, and you don't know how to get along like others do. . . . Then they say we should look different, and eat different -- use more of the protein. I tell them about the prices, but they reply about 'planning' -- planning, planning, that's all they tell you. The worst of it is that they try to get you to plan your kids, by the year, except they mean by the ten-year plan, one every ten years. The truth is, they don't want you to have any, if they could help it.

To me, having a baby inside me is the only time I'm really alive. I know I can make something, do something, no matter what color my skin is, and what names people call me. When the baby gets born I see him, and he's full of life, or she is; and I think to myself that it doesn't make any difference what happens later, at least now we've got a chance, or the baby does. You can see the little one grow and get larger and start doing things, and you feel there must be some hope, some chance that things will get better; because there it is, right before you, a real, live growing baby. The children and their father feel it, too, just like I do. They feel the baby is a good sign, or at least he's some sign. If we didn't have that, what would be the difference from death?

Even without children, my life would still be bad -- they're not going to give us what they have, the birth control people. They just want us to be a poor version of them, only without our children and our faith in God and our tasty fried food, or anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill Baar said...

I was listening to Rush over the weekend on the car radio (I seldom listen to him) but he mentioned Margaret Sanger was great believer in Eugenics.

Guess it's the Eugenicists the woman you quote above was listening too.

Found this essay on Sanger and Eugenics from the Minn Star Review.

A few years ago I never would have written a comment like this. I was a firm Liberal-Democrat. Times have changed and there's an awfully ugly legacy to the liberal side I see now. I wonder if I'm alone in this realignment of thoughts.

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home